Thursday, January 8, 2015

DIY play food COOKIES

Today I am using paper clay, this is probably not the easiest of BEST technique for making play food but I will show you what I did and what would be BETTER. I wanted what I am making to be lightweight when baked, I'm not sure it weighs any less than any other clay. I think a regular playdough salt recipe would have worked better and looked more realistic. I would have colored it a tint of brown and created what I wished.

I got a package of this paperclay, rolled it out and used my tiny cutters that I found in both the polymer clay section of the craft store, and the baking section of fondant gadgets at the craft store.
To get a more realistic texture use a large paintbrush or toothbrush or sand paper to add texture


                                          here is what it looks like with and with out texture.


I'm not a fan of waiting for the clay to air dry, especially this day and wanted to get the project done in one night so I turned on the oven and speed dried the cookies
250 degrees. Bake for approximately 40 minutes, turning pieces over to other side partway through 

If you make some too thin which I did on accident they warped and are going to break a lot easier

do them 1/4 an inch thick is great. Any l more thin you are going to run into problems. 

for FROSTING, there is a lot of different really thick paints either for canvas, or fabric that can be used easily as frosting. You can use white silicon caulking and color it with a dab of paint before piping it on or smearing it on like frosting. Fabric paint works too.
 
For fake sprinkles you can use glitter, seed beads, glass micro beads fund in the scrap booking section of your craft store. You can also make your own from polymer clay, if you follow my mini sculpting tinytina creations you know this is my specialty, I just rolled this snakes of the clay, baked them and cut them with a my razor, you can use scissors too, I also made tiny heart sprinkles for this project. 


if you want colored flat circle ones just make a thicker snake, bake and cut the little circles
 
 


This clay is bright white, I colored it after I made the shapes. It was not the best way to go. If you choose to use this clay I would recommend dropping about 2 drops of brown or tan paint per 1/4 lb of clay. This paper clay came in 1lb brick.  This time I just diluted paint to a wash, and washed over them. It was a bit tricky and had to do some of it darker at times, like for the chocolate chip cookies. For the chocolate chunks I was going to hand sculpt tiny chocolate chips but decided for tie reasons i didn't want to do that tonight. (I'm insane i know) I just cute some square strips and baked them then chopped them up with the razor and stuck them on.



Here is the difference before and after the wash



I also made some little chocolate chip cookies. I cute square strands of clay and baked them then chopped the chunks and placed them in the soft clay.



No comments:

Post a Comment