Sunday, January 4, 2015

D.I.Y tea party play food CAKES

I have found it isn't so easy to find fake food! It's possible to find plastic, or cupcakes that are realistic but they are adult serving size and pricy. I knew from my experience with making miniatures with my sculpting biz Tinytina Creations that it was possible to make it look very realistic and larger. I already had the skills I just had to figure it out. My first attempt was a little cake. After doing it I now know of a few ways that will be 100 times EASIERand something that anyone can do. I will show you kind of what I did. I didn't really take pics of this process but I will be doing the EASY version again soon.  First you need some FOAM, I found this cylinder foam piece that was the PERFECT size for a tiny cake. I bought some paper clay as frosting to cover it. After doing this I wouldn't use paper clay again it doesn't blend as smooth as other clays, in fact I wouldn't use clay at all but I will get to that on the next cake. I just cute 2 slices out of it and covered it with clay, all the pieces, for the chocolate part I just rolled out some polymer clay, texturized it and cut it to the size I wanted. such a pain..I'm not known for doing things the EASY way first time round.
It was a real big pain and hard to get smooth, it didn't stick as well as I'd have liked it to. I guess this is  what NOT to do post haha.
It turned out cute and the roses were polymer clay that I baked then glued on later. I learned really fast that my child was a bit too young (crazy) for something so special. She pulled off all the décor form the top of the cake that night and put it all into a little toy bowl to play with...ugh. But it turned out cute. next time NO ROSES! Just frosting.

I'll do a tutorial of the EASY way to do this one soon. I PROMISE!

No comments:

Post a Comment